Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pancake Mix Experiment

I'm trying to get away from buying pre-packaged goods, so here is my first experiment with making a batch of pre-mixed pancake mix.

Pancake Mix

3 cups nonfat dry milk

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

2/3 cup baking powder

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon salt


In a large bowl, stir all ingredients together until well blended. Store in an airtight container. Yields enough for about 3 batches of pancakes.


To make pancakes: In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup pancake mix, 1/2 cup water, 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. I also add about a tablespoon of vanilla extract (optional but delicious). Stir just until moistened. Heat a greased griddle over medium heat.For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto griddle and cook until top of pancake is full of bubbles and underside is golden brown. Turn with a spatula and cook until remaining side is golden brown. Re-grease griddle as necessary.


*Note: I added too much water (2/3 cup) so I'm going to adjust it next time I make it (hence the 1/2 cup listed above). The batter was a little thin so they turned out more like thick crepes but they were still yummy. I have the ingredients on hand all the time so I think I'm just going to mix this up once a month or so to fill my half-gallon Ball jar.


Hopefully my BF will like it. I froze the leftover pancakes so that'll probably be breakfast tomorrow. Let me know if you have any mix ideas that are good for storage ^_^


6 comments:

SonyaAnn said...

I've wanted to do this but with a chocolate cake mix. What do you think? And I can't find the hot pockets.

Callista said...

http://terrorinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/05/breakfast-hot-pockets-bread-recipe.html

theres also a link on the side-nave for Breakfast HotPockets. i hear its really easy to do for cake mix. never done it myself before.

SonyaAnn said...

Just stopped by to say HI!

Taryn said...

Nice! We are trying to get away from packaged stuff too. Good for you! Next time I make pancakes I will remember you!

Taryn said...

Nice! We are trying to get away form packaged stuff too. Good work!

SonyaAnn said...

Hi! It's almost like I'm stalking you.

Post a Comment